A Christian witness in the village since 1775
Eynsford Baptist Church was planted in 1775 in the home of a villager called Mr Hodges. We know nothing about him apart from the fact that he was an ordinary working man. Things continued for some years as a small meeting in his home. In 1799 the church relocated to some stables in Priory Lane which were specially fitted out for the purpose. In 1806 the first the church building was constructed on its present site (above left). As time went by it was felt that a larger building was needed and one hundred years later in 1906 it was replaced by the present building. That, in turn was extended at the rear some years later.
But that’s the story of the building. The real church, of course is the people and the details of their lives are unrecorded (except in heaven!)
More of the story, compiled from church records has been documented here. It paints a picture of the ups and downs, the highs and low, successes and challenges of a small Baptist congregation in Kent. In particular it gives insight into the contributions of the various ministers and deacons as they sought to be faithful to God, responsive to their call and relevant to changing seasons.